Wednesday 3 April 2013

Pantone Pairings

Couple of years back I did work experience at an advertising company for a few weeks and I was completely amazed at the fact that a company could own a colour so that no other company could use it. Still confused at how an organisation could own a colour, but the company that has made this possible is Pantone. I worked with RBS for a short period of time and they had bought a deep navy from Pantone (if you go on their website it's plastered all over it), for the life of me I can't remember what Pantone number it was but I remember my supervisor telling me that no one else could use that colour in marketing because RBS owned it.Puzzling.

Anyway, artist David Schwen from Minneapolis, who is also a very reputable designer who has worked with the likes of Fox, GQ, Harley Davidson and Nestle, has played with the idea of Pantone and has created a series of 'Pantone Pairings'. Essentially, I think Pantone works by  pairing colours which work well together and then selling that, Schwen has placed together foods which are usually put together and photographed them as Pantone colours. The result is quite comical and really successful. Enjoy.













No comments:

Post a Comment